Beer, Peanuts, and everything else about the Stadium Experience. Except the game.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

April 18: Back to Beerman

A public television crew followed Clarence the beerman around while he sold hotdogs tonight. Here, a boom mike captures the sounds of the pre-game callout.
  • Philadelphia ----- 4
  • Washington ----- 5

Washington wins tonight and so do I: I went back to selling beer. It wasn't the best game but it wasn't the worst -- it was a exactly what you expect during a Wednesday game. This night was a touch warmer than last night, as spring picks up steam. I won't be back until the team returns for the Mets series in a week, which will give the season a chance to ripen a little more.

But the beer rolled better than food has, and I'm not looking back for the rest of the year. Enough of hotdogs and running out of buns. No more stealing packets of relish from the condiments stand, having the sterno flame out on me late in the game. No more rank hotdog water sloshing around on me when I'm balancing the case on my head, or waiting for the kid in the stockroom to heat up the next load. I'm back to beer for the rest of the year at RFK.

Above: Diane closes up for the night while receiving good news: "Really? They voted Sanjaya off! Now the contest can really begin!"

No comments:

Previous Episodes