Beer, Peanuts, and everything else about the Stadium Experience. Except the game.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Tossing Peanuts

  • Yankees: 12
  • Orioles: 5
  • Sold: 197 bags of peanuts
A big turnaround tonight. I was one of only two peanut vendors at Camden, so plenty of room to roam with a big satchel of peanuts slung over each shoulder. An easy vend because they're so light, and their association with the game ("buy me some peanuts and...") make them an easier sell: $3.75 for a 6-ounce bag. Call out "Big Bag of Peantus Here!" and hands pop up from all sides. Good for flow.

Better yet, you can toss them around to customers. Makes it more fun, and draws interest from the spectators. After some mishaps (I once tried for a long shot and ended up smacking a 70-year old woman in the head -- she was not pleased) I've refined my technique and can hit with reasonable accuracy up to about 35 feet away. The secret for me is going with an underhanded toss. Getting the right amount of elbow into it for a real overhand pitch throws too many variables into the mix.

People love it; every now and then a guy (and it's always a guy) will call clear over from the next section, holding out an open hand to receive a long toss. I like it even though my nerves kick in, and as long as there aren't any elderly people nearby I'll indulge him. Call over to him to make sure he's ready, and let everyone in the flightpath know there's about to be flying peanuts whizzing overhead, then let loose. That plastic bag pops out in a hard reverse spin and heads out over the rows, getting smaller and smaller until it whaps my customer in the palm. Crowd entertained, customer satisfied, and I keep the five dollar bill. I'm no Roger Owen of course, that legendary Dodger Stadium peanut man whose talents allow him to toss two bags behind the back and have them split with accuracy to two different customers, but it's energizing.

By the end I'd sold 6 and half 30-bag loads, not close to my Camden Opening day blowout of 12 and a half loads (everyone was throwing money around then, and I ended up with $320 in tips). I think I missed the Corona ticket on the board instead and made a bit of extra money, but I only regretted it for about half a minute. There was more money in a second-tier beer on a Saturday night, but the decision has to do with the difference between money and fun.

No comments:

Previous Episodes